Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Theology of Liberation

As I have worked and experienced life here in Latin America, I have come across many different worldviews and theologies. Many are very different from mine but I have learned that no one truly has the right answer. The only answers. In the end...theologies are created to help us interpret our context and that will often influence how we receive and understand Scripture.

Theology-defined by dictionary.com

1. the field of study and analysis that treats of God and of God's attributes and relations to the universe; study of divine things or religious truth; divinity.
2. a particular form, system, branch, or course of this study

Interesting. These two definitions doesnt mean much to me. I also at times hate theology. Because although it is helpful because it is human interpretation of Scripture, it can also cause divisions among the body of Christ.
I always find it interesting when people believe they have the perfect or the RIGHT theology. Isnt is human interpretation? Arent we imperfect beings? So how can our theology be completely right or flawless? That is not to say there isnt any bad theology out here. And I do believe there are things that are not up for debate within the Christian religion.
1. Jesus death liberates us from sin
2. Jesus-Son of God, Son of man
3. God loves us unconditionally and we live in grace
But things such as drinking, dancing, hell, baptism, etc etc etc, I personally don't think we have to have the exact right answers. But then again...perhaps that is my theology :)
I have been reading about liberation theology lately since it is a theology quite popular in Latin America (although not one I encounter on a daily basis here in Santa Cruz). Gustavo Gutierrez is considered the father of liberation theology. He is a native of Peru and he lives and works in Rimac a Lima slum.
There was something I read that struck me and I think is good food for thought. The following is found in a section called, Christ the Liberator.

He writes, "But in the liberation approach sin is not considered as an individual, private, or merely interior reality--asserted just enough to necessitate "spiritual" redemption which does not challenge the order in which we live. Sin is regarded as a social, historical fact, the absence of fellowship and love in relationships among persons, the breach of friendship with God and with other persons, and, therefore, an interior, personal fracture. When it is considered in this way, the collective dimensions of sin are rediscovered" (Gutierrez, p. 103).

He continues with...

"This radical liberation is the gift which Christ offers us. By his death and resurrection he redeems us from sin and all its consequences, as has been well said in a text we quote again: 'It is the same God who, in the fullness of time, sends his Son in the flesh, so that he might come to liberate all men from all slavery to which sin has subjected them: hunger, misery, oppression, and ignorance, in a word, that injustice and hatred which have their own origin in human selfishness.' This is why the Christian life is a passover, a transition from sin to grace, from death to life, from injustice to justice, from the subhuman to the human. Christ introduces us by the gift of his Spirit into communion with God and with all human beings. More precisely, it is because he introduces us into this communion, into a continuous search for its fullness, that he conquers sin--which is the negation of love--and all its consequences" (Gutierrez, p. 103).

Pretty incredible. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. This is weird, but I was thinking the same thing this past week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. Theology is weird, but I think you put in some good thoughts about it. I don't know much about liberation theology but what Gutierrez says about sin is an interesting approach, looking at it as a bit more than just separation from God

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a young liberation theologian myself, and am planning a trip to Bolivia. Do you have any suggestions for places to go and communities to visit for a liberatory Christian such as myself, with our without direct relationship to faith?
    I'm not turning anything specific up.

    ReplyDelete