Monday, September 28, 2009

Life thus far...

I figured it is time for a little update. It's often hard to update here because when I finally get to internet there is a huge list of things I want to accomplish. But here we go!
Life is finally finding a beat here in Bolivia. I work Monday-Friday except for the occasional orientation day where we listen to a speaker or visit an organization. I usually get to work by 7:30am and leave by 5:00pm, but many times earlier. Currently I am working in every classroom to learn the routine of things. Right now I am with the older toddlers and they are just so precious. The hard but exciting part is hearing all of the kids stories because stories for me are so special because they are sharing a part of their life with you and that is something to really appreciate.
This past weekend I went on a youth type of retreat and it was definitely interesting. I can't say I took much away from many of the talks because it is just a different context. In the US, I tend to connect a lot of my theological beliefs with the issues of oppression, poverty, etc., and here they tend to focus on more sinful behavior such as drinking, dancing, etc. Not that oppression doesn't stem from sin because it definitely does but I like to focus on how that can change instead of just focusing on the behavior. I don't want to criticize the churches here but just noting an observation.
Homesickness is still hitting pretty hard but that is the reality of life. I am here right out of college, away from all my loved ones, trying to navigate my way through this world that seems so foreign and yet so familiar. Its hard to look at the kids at work and realize that I share a lot of their same history and yet I am "fortunate" in the sense that I am educated, loved by so many, etc. But I guess there are things that we all struggle with and face? For me its hard to see kids at such a young age encounter that already. It just isn't right.
I guess that is part of growing. Realizing the sins of your ancestors and yet still having hope of a changed society, world, and just loving. Because all we need is love:)
So that has been my focus. Just loving these kids and everyone around me. And you know...it heals me in a way. It helps me look at the world differently and all of a sudden...amidst all that seems wrong and unjust....everything is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. sounds good. all sounds good.

    keep on truckin. continue to seek beauty. internalize it all because you'll be stuck back here with all of us before you know it :).

    ReplyDelete