Tuesday, February 23, 2010

to wear or not to offend

There is a significant amount of diversity here in Santa Cruz, as it goes for many major cities. Or at least this is what I first thought when I first arrived. And although it still remains true to some extent, I believe there are 3 different ways people dress here.

1. the indigenous look- two long thick braids down the back, a hoop skirt that hits the knees, sometimes a straw hat or top hat or sometimes nothing. And often times carrying a child or items in an aguayo. An aguayo is a multicolor woolen cloth that they strap around themselves to carry things on their backs.

2. the camba look- Bolivians in Santa Cruz dressing in US styled clothing. Often the women wear heels and have a big, fake flower in their hair.

3. the mennonite look- there are thousands of mennonites that live around santa cruz within conservative traditional colonies. often times they will come into santa cruz to do business.


I have come to realize that I struggle to rock any these looks. And the one the that I should try to pull of is the camba look. Women here look good most days most of the time. They usually match perfectly. They wear heels. They have a lot of great beautiful hair. To illustrate, I once came to work wearing jeans, black flip flops, a black shirt, and a yellow headband. My boss hit me on my forehead and exasperatedly informed me that I do not match! I apologize for not having a black headband? what? And these are not the first comments I have received about my lack of style. I realize that I dont dress to impress. But I honestly dont know how to move forward! I dont want big fake flowers in my hair or prance around the cities dirty streets with heels on. But I am slowly trying to improve. I bought a skirt at a used market and sandals with with three huge rhinestones that strap around my ankle. Let the transformation begin!

Some of you may be wondering...who cares? be yourself, be an individual! I thought that too for a long time but now I am not so sure if that is the best approach. I dont get off as easy according to Bolivians because I dont look gringa. I look Latina and as a result I am held to another standard. Additionally, I am working with families that highly value looks and if one is put together. Yes, this is important even to marganilzed poor families. They will look strive to look their best when they go out even if they are struggling to make ends meet. So what does that mean for me? Shouldnt I try to assimiliate as much as possible? Wouldnt assimiliating help me establish crediblity? But the real question is...how far is too far?

Share thoughts please.

5 comments:

  1. That is also in the Puerto Rican communities. Often if you are going to "el pueblo", you are expected to dress very nice. Your grandfather was a great example of that. Now days, you don't see that that much because people don't get dirty because they don't work the land like our ancestors, or your father's family, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes! I don't know! I guess try to look a little more put together? but don't give in to wearing heels. at least I wouldn't. haa.

    it is totally a different culture... because of course, here, your outfit would be normal (and cute!). we bought banana clips in ecuador. go get yo'self a flower! (i guess!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah, so I loved it when you said you don't think you can rock those looks lol... I agree as far as the indigenous and mennonite styles are concerned. I think you could definitely pull off camba though! but is it you? not really (at least I don't think so). maybe people need to see an example of a latina who focuses more on other parts of her life, instead of her style. that's a large goal for you though, as only one person in a large city.

    I guess trying to fit in a bit more while you're there doesn't hurt, as long as it's not a mentality you bring back to the states. We all know that cultural acceptance in other places starts with a little bit of assimilation (esp b/c like people were telling you, you don't look 'gringa'). You cuold probably dress nicely though without going over the top looking like you're ready to tango or something.

    also, the outfit you described sounded good to me! maybe you didn't match, but you coordinated, right?!

    that's an interesting topic to think about though, not one I would have imagined

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you and Josh should try the Mennonite look, hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think you can rock the camba look, although one day, you've got to try the polyester Menno dress!

    I think it's different here if you don't look North American. And frankly, we north americans don't seem to care about what they wear. Wrinkle, unmatched....ugh. It's like we have status already as North Americans, we don't need to dress up. Who cares world, we own you anyways.

    As for the grungy look, I have a sister in law that dresses, well, uh....and one time she told me not to be so preoccupied with looking put together and dressing my kids in nicer clothes when we go out. And I told her, "You go out in second hand grubs and look eclectic, I go out in second hand grubs with my kids and people think I'm a welfare case". What's the difference between the two of us? Anyone want to state the obvious? I think that can translate from white North America and brown Latin America. Those are my thoughts on clothes.

    ReplyDelete