Thursday, March 4, 2010

Life is precious

This week has been busy. BUSY. We have been getting ready to open the new guarderia (pictures to be posted soon). The preperation period has consisted of painting, climbing fences to paint, attacking ant hills...more like ants attacking us, drinking lots of cheap soda, and waxing floors by hand. Unfortunately, one coworker had to skip out on all the fun this week. Maggie went to the emergency room Monday night with the worst stomach pain probably anyone this side of the country has seen. But it turned out to be something quite more serious. Due to my lack of spanish medical term language I couldnt quite understand anything. But what I gathered was the Maggie had a tumor in her ovary that had gone undetected and popped/exploded which then contimated other organs. When my boss, Yuneth, took her to the hosptial that night everyone thought she wasnt going to make it. They didnt know what was wrong, and she was passed out. She was completely yellow and weak. Doctors at first did not want to operate because they didnt want to be blamed for her death if she were to die during the operation. Gracias a Dios, a doctor took the challenge and saved her life. She was operated successful Monday night without being put to sleep.
I went to vist on Tuesday night and almost passed out in her room. I just couldnt bare to see her lying there so weak and in so much pain. She is only 25! So I exited the room, sat down to calm my head down, and started crying. I composed myself as much as I could and then walked back in the hospital room to be with her. She told me not to cry but I couldnt help it. It wasnt until that very moment that I realize just how much I love my coworkers. Naturally, we almost always have our cultural conflicts but we are always end our days laughing together, and many times at the expense of someone :P But seeing her lying there made me realize just how precious life is.

"Thank you, dear Lord, for this good life, and forgive us if we do not enjoy it enough."

Although Maggie is healing wonderfully, keep her and us in your thoughts, as we figure out how to help her pay her medical bills...

1 comment: