Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sleeping in a hammack

I am currently writing this update from my host father´s little bookshop :) I have so many things to write...we´ll see how much I get in!
This week has been hard because we´ve had two deaths in our community. One was self-inflicted. He was only 17. The other was a teenager with down syndrome. I know that these things occur daily but I guess as I reflect I wonder if these could have been prevented if there would have been resources available. And I dont mean just healthcare but mostly education. Naturally they could have still occurred but here as in many other places...they are oppressed and manipulated. For example, sugar consumption here is through the roof. Why? Because of the sugar industry here has been so important and yet so imposed by foreigners. And there are many countries in Latin America where that is the case. Soda is widely consumed like water and its frustrating because the soda companies like Coca-Cola and Pepsi go door to door giving free things to the people and giving them soda. And its so cheap, there´s propaganda everywhere that people now drink it like water.
The community I live in ¨Plan 3000¨its considered ¨dangerous¨or the place where all the criminals live and really...my experience has been opposite. Its a place with friendly people and a close community. But people fear what they do not know. I am happy here.
Last night at mass the father talked about Genesis and how men and women were created for one another. What really struck me was how he interpreted the passage in Genesis where God takes a rib from Adam to create Eve. He says that this was very intentional, because this comes from the middle of the man meaning that Eve was created so that they may be companions. He said that God wouldnt have taken a bone from man´s foot because woman wasn´t created to be a man´s slave or servant. He points out how woman were not created to obey man and do whatever he says. On the contrary, she was created so that they could love each other. But he went on to say how cultural things like machisimo ruins that dream or God´s purpose. He said..¨She wasnt created to do laundry or cook or clean. She was created to be Adam´s sister.¨ In this context that is pretty radical thinking. It was incredible!
And the church I go to they have a natural medicine clinic and a garden. They are very intentional about working with the poor and loving them. The hard part is many evangelicals here think Catholics are not Christians or are not working for good.
As you can see I am learning a lot everyday and really enjoying my time here...even if I still have a million questions and feel homesick :)

1 comment: